Thursday, May 20, 2010

Smoker Friendly

So, I've been meaning to blog about this for a week and kept forgetting...

I brought James to a Starbucks during Happy Frappe Hour last Thursday - it was one of the freestanding Starbucks with a drive-thru and walk-up window. There was a group of ladies waiting for their drinks, and as we walked up, one of the ladies moved down to the end table.

One of the other ladies, somewhat confused at her friend's decision to change tables asked her why she moved. She replied: "I didn't want to smoke by that little boy" and they continued their conversation. (This is the point I noticed a cigarette settled between her fingers.)

Now, before all the smokers come track me down and give me cigarette burns for hating on them, I'd like to say that I don't really have a problem with smokers... as long as they aren't invading my space. For me, it's no different than someone with halitosis or a spitting problem talking 2" from my face. Or someone with B.O. using the overhead handrail on the train right next to me and allowing their oh-so-pleasant armpit aroma to make their way through my cilia and make me nauseous.

It's just a courtesy: Think if you stink. Mend before you offend.

So, to the unknown friendly smoker at Starbucks during Frappe Happy Hour last Thursday: THANK YOU for being so courteous!

P.S. And for those concerned I brought my kid to a coffee joint... he got the double chocolate chip blended creme. So quit your worrying. :o)

1 comment:

  1. My girls love Dutch Bros. They get hot choc, juice or fruit smoothies but Z always takes drinkes of whatever coffee drink I am having & you know what... I don't mind! I'm not a fan of smokers either, but I don't really mind them. There are for sure differences between curtious ones & irresponsible ones. Glad you got a good one :)

    ReplyDelete